I did get a good deal on the price so I will try to word this as fairly as I can. So …
-Ideally situated hotel in nice surroundings.
-Rooms were immaculately clean (inside)
- Bed comfy, basic tea and coffee facilities, hairdryer etc.
- Breakfast was fair-good.
- Staff all friendly.
- Reception staff (Sandra) was excellent and co-operative when I asked to change rooms.
- Check in took ages. Only one person manning reception. Same when I had to go back to complain about my room.
- First room I was given (Single room – Number 37??) was dark, dingy and oppressive, like being in in a basement! The tiny window in the corner was overlooked by people on car park above so had no choice but to close the blind, blocking out the already limited natural light. There was no mobile phone network, unable to get Wifi.
- Upgrade to larger room in same block with 2 single beds pushed together was much better with 2 windows, although still unable to get mobile phone network and had to go outside nearer to main building to make texts or calls. Very poor Wifi signal – slow and intermittent. I appreciate these points may not be a consideration for those guests who are out and about during the day or night, but as I was there for a couple of nights and needed to work, it was almost impossible.
- On first night I was woken at 4am by the fire alarms. Thankfully it was a false alarm. However, this hotel MUST review its procedures in the event of a fire, and practise fire drills. It is currently woeful – chaotic - one member of staff dashing about (presumably night manager?) no direction, no advice to guests, no checking of rooms, no fire brigade. It was farcical. And even more so when I reported to the night manager that I wondered if the alarms had gone off as I had noticed a faint burning/singeing smell (a bit like an overheating hairdryer) in the 2nd room. He didn’t even check in my room. If that had been a real fire ...
- Poor TV reception – no BBC channels including news. Intermittent pixelated screen on some other channels.
- No disabled parking. Used reserved parking in the end+put blue badge up.
- Whilst the inside of the rooms were spotless, the exteriors - around the doors, windows and paths was shabby with lots of cobwebs, dirt. It needed a good sweep/power hose everywhere.
Having stayed at a wide range of hotels and B & B’s, this particular Best Western fell short of my expectations and I wouldn’t rush to return. less