Extremely disappointing - you can do so much better in Grasmere - avoid if possible!
08/02/2016 JMacToon, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Good service and value is, I'm afraid to say, very rare to find in hotels and restaurants in Cumbria and the Red Lion in Grasmere does little to buck this trend, based on a recent stay. It is handily... more
Good service and value is, I'm afraid to say, very rare to find in hotels and restaurants in Cumbria and the Red Lion in Grasmere does little to buck this trend, based on a recent stay. It is handily located in the centre of the village, but there's not a lot else going for it than that I have to say.... So what went so wrong as to make Fawlty Towers appear to be an attractive proposition in comparison?
1) Allocation of a double room on arrival despite our booking being for a twin room. Worse still - staff seemed to blame us rather than admitting and seeking to rectify their mistake!
2) Subsequent allocation of a room right above the ongoing, noisy building works, despite previous agreement that we should be allocated a room as far away from the works as possible.
3) Had to wait c30 minutes for service at breakfast as the hotel had not thought to reduce the number of guests despite the restaurant being out of action!
4) The bacon served at breakfast was more akin to old shoe leather than anything edible; likewise the cooked breakfast was dripping in grease....
5) The refurbishment workers did not comply with the strict 9-5 working hours which we had understood were supposed to be in operation. The room maid also took it on herself to begin hoovering the corridor outside our room at 7am on a Sunday morning - not very conducive to a lie in!
6) Paint or adhesive fumes from the work were pretty unpleasant in our bedroom and probably contributed to general feelings of unwellness and the headaches we both had.
7) The older gentleman serving at breakfast had a poor attitude to his work and was facetious to customers. Cutlery and crockery were dirty and orders were not delivered as requested - for example tea was brought when coffee had been ordered!
8) Although our refurbished room was quite pleasant, the bathroom had not been refurbished and was poorly laid out, meaning that anyone using the toilet was rather squashed. The shower took c5 minutes to provide any hot water.
9) Although the hotel pool and jacuzzi were quite nice, the changing facilities were very cold and both were not accessible for anyone with limited mobility.
On the plus side - the beds were comfy and the hotel is centrally located but I think you should get more than this for £90 a night!!! less