Avoid. Worst experience. Much better in York
I am leaving this here because there was no response to my feedback card that I left for my stay on September 24/25 in room 44.
First of all, a beautiful building located a short distance outside of the central York and close to the University.
Now for the problems:
1. It's a great venue for weddings but when the room was booked they did not notify that they would be a wedding there the second night. There were no other rooms available and I had just been traveling internationally for 48 hours and didn't want to find my way back into central York in the rain. In addition, they neglected to mention that the music would be directly below my room and everyone would be below and outside drinking/partying until midnight when I was assured that the noise would stop. It didn't, that was fine even though I was there for business and had an important meeting first thing in the morning.
The fact that I wasn't notified and that the restaurant and bar would be closed and off limits during the wedding, leaving me trapped in the room and trying to find somewhere to eat in the rain, that was okay too.
What really bothered me was
2. The drain to the shower was completely blocked. After being on several flights and trains for 2 days you just at least want a hot shower. It took all night just to drain about had a tub of water. I called down immediately at about 5:30 but the maintenance man was gone and there was no one else available to look at it. I was assured it would be fixed in the morning.
3. The temperature in the room was about 37C, it was literally a sauna. I tried opening the patio door but it seemed to be wedged shut or locked from the outside. I followed the instructions next to the window about how use the door handle. Still no help. I go downstairs, an employee comes up and they comment that it was hot as Hell when they get into the room and they spend 5 minutes trying to open the door. They can't & say they will ask maintenance to look at this as well first thing in the morning. There was a cheap small fan that did nothing to alleviate the heat and humidity. I barely slept all night & woke covered in sweat. After showering in the filled bathtub there was no way to dry off in the humid room either until I stood outside. Extra presentable for work.
4. I called during the second day from the university just to double check that my room would be looked at. They said, yes tersely, don't worry.
I came back that night. Wedding. All the facilities are closed, the room is hot is Hell, the shower/bath is plugged, the carpet is filthy from cleaners & the patio door will not open still. I go to the front reception, the handyman was gone again but the front desk person came up. They said " Wow, it hot and muggy in here" and they spent 5 minutes trying to force the door open. They couldn't but said they would send someone right up to try and bring some additional fans for me. It was 5:30 PM.
I never saw or heard from them again.
Between the heat, humidity; big wedding below/outside my patio door that imprisoned me, I must have gotten about 2 hours sleep.
5. Now for the breakfast, it is included but the portions are extremely small & basic. I asked for a diet soft drink and that isn't included and every time I ordered one while trying to eat my breakfast, they came back with a bill and wouldn't stood over me until I paid for it. They didn't even have the decency to wait until I finished my meal.
The second morning the portions were so small, I asked for another separate dish which is just two scrambled eggs and some toast, in addition to the "full" English Breakfast that I ordered. Instead, they brought the Full English Breakfast with the exact same portion of scrambled eggs and two under toasted pieces of toast on a giant separate plate. I couldn't have just gone and made the toast myself on the continental breakfast table myself if that's what I wanted. The waiter after handling cash even tried to transfer the toast off the big plate with his bare hands before I stopped him.
Hands down, the worst hotel experience I've had. less