My wife and I stayed at the hotel on the weekend of the 22nd and 23rd of September as we were attending my godson christening in the neighbourhood.
The check in went fine and we got to our room ok. The furniture is a bit dated, we have twin beds instead of the double bed that was confirmed and I notice a few things that are telling me that the room hasn’t been properly inspected by Housekeeping (a bit of plastic next to the phone, a shoe shine box on the floor instead of in the wardrobe with the other one already there). I’ve been working in hospitality for 20 years so I didn’t think it was worth complaining about it and ask to change rooms as it was only for 2 nights. Boy, was I wrong!
The next morning, I’m in the bathroom brushing my teeth, when I hear my wife shouting from the room. I run to her and see her passed out on the floor. After a tense moment of not knowing what happened, she recovers enough to tell me that she got electrocuted while trying to turn on the lamp on the desk. I carefully check the lamp and see that there is no switch but the cables are completely bare and that’s how she got electrocuted.
We had to leave after my wife felt better as we had to go to my godson’s christening but my wife had her day completely ruined, spending it in a daze as she was in pain for the rest of the day. When we came back to the hotel, we spoke to the manager on duty who advised us that they couldn’t do anything until we went to the hospital. I offered to fill in an incident report, which was declined. I offered to write a statement for the hotel manager, which was also declined. I told the Duty Manager that we would go to the hospital in our country as we do not have to pay for it and therefore didn’t expect the hotel to pay for the hospital bill. The Duty Manager then told us that we wouldn’t have to pay for the first night of our stay which we accepted.
After a few days, my wife still not feeling well, she went to see a doctor who confirmed that she was very lucky to be alive and who agreed to follow her health status. In the meantime, we wrote an email to the hotel asking them for a refund for the second night as we felt that overall, we shouldn’t have to pay anything for our stay. To add insult to the injury, it took the hotel 3 weeks to reply to let us know that as far as they were concerned, the matter was closed and basically, they were not interested in hearing about us.
You would think that after that, this would be the end of their blunder but, no. It turns out that they lost our credit card details, given at check in so they charged another member of my family for our stay. When my brother queried the charge, he was told pretty bluntly, that they didn’t have any other details so just charged his card instead.
So overall, not only did they fail to offer us a safe stay in the hotel but they showed completely disregard for basic duty of care for their guests and a complete disregard for the legality of GDPR which is a new EU requirement for all hotels to destroy all sensitive information (credit card details being the most sensitive details under the new law). Not only did they keep my brother’s card details illegally but they charged him for something that he never purchased and are refusing to refund him.
So in summary, this hotel operates illegally with only contempt for their guests once they get their money. After 20 years working in the business, this is the worst experience I have ever witnessed and it makes me ashamed that they would consider me a colleague of their dodgy scams. less