Horrible experience! We are never setting foot in a Best Western again!
29/11/2018 adiisetzi, Galloway
First disclaimer: This was in July 2017. Tripadvisor did not let me choose a date before a year ago but this review is so important for me I am going to risk bending the rules, since this was the wors... more
First disclaimer: This was in July 2017. Tripadvisor did not let me choose a date before a year ago but this review is so important for me I am going to risk bending the rules, since this was the worst experience we had ever had in a hotel in our life! First of all the hotel is old and run down, second the room we got had bad cigarettes smell since it was on the 1st floor which is right next to the bar where the lady bartender was smoking. Mind you this was a non smoking room we ordered! When we asked to change rooms because of the smell we were told the hotel is fully booked and when we asked to cancel reservation they said there is no option of getting money back at last minute notice. They offered to spray some cleaning soap around to make the smell better... It was ahwful stayong in that room but we realy had no choice but to stay and goble it.
Then the power outages began! - it was a VERY hot July weekend so the city couldn't handle lots of ppl using air-conditioning... The hotel did not have a backup power system! During the outage my husband got stuck in the elevator! The fire department came but couldn't let him out without ruining the elevator, since it was such an old one, so they just waited until the power come back, so my husband was in the elevator for half an hour while our child was crying histerically because she was worried about her dad, and it was very hard to cam her down. At this point I thanked god it was the last night of our trip and we are back home tomorrow.
No money back was offered for this terrible experience. They did gave us 10% off after contacting the hotle manager who wasn't on-site. less
Best W, Manager at Best Western El Grande Inn, responded to this review
We thank you for your review which is very important to us. We are very sorry to hear about your experience here. Currently our bar is a non smoking bar and it is illegal to smoke in the bar by California law, so I know that experience won't happen in the future as long as the law stands. So even though your weren't in our enclosed bar and appearantly you are saying that the smell of smoke made it to your room on the first floor, then we apologize for that. I see that the staff did try to make your room not smell like smoke but it sounds like it wasn't satisfactory for you and once again and we apologize for that.
Also dealing with the power outage, the hotel and the city has no control over that. This is strictly a PG&E controlled situation. And it is true, us like almost all other small businesses don't have a back up power system to handle all the needs that a hotel our size with all of our rooms and restaurant, and swimming pool and spa and fitness center for a situation which normally doesn't happen (thank goodness) for the very expensive system it would cost to put in. Our staff did call emergency responders as you have mentioned but it was decided by them since this was not a life or death situation to wait for the electricity to come back on. I am sorry to hear of this unfortunate timing of using the elevator when this situation occurred and upset your child with your husband in the elevator.
I see that you mentioned that no money back was offered, but in the next sentence you said that you were given 10% off of your room.
Once again thank you for your feed back and giving us a chance to address this review.