Crême Brûlée à la Trin. Hall (Cambridge Burnt Cream)
150ml double cream | 250ml milk | 1 vanilla pod | 3 large free-range egg yolks
40g Demerara sugar | 6tbsp Demerara to caramelise
1. Preheat oven to 150 ° C.
2. Add cream and milk to a small pan, scrape out vanilla pod and add both seeds and pod to the mixture. Simmer gently.
3. Separate the egg yolks into a large bowl, add the brown sugar. Whisk together until yolks and sugar become creamy.
4. Strain to discard vanilla pod and slowly pour in to the yolk mixture. Stir well.
5. Pour the custard into 6x100ml ovenproof ramekins or teacups.
6. Place in a deep roasting tray with water reaching half way on the dishes. Bake for 35-45 minutes until custard is set. Remove, leave to cool and chill until needed.
7. When ready to serve sprinkle each dish with sugar and blowtorch, or use a grill until crusts are golden.
8. Allow sugar to cool slightly and serve.