We booked here for one night as we didn't fancy an 80 mile drive home after seeing the fabulous Jane McDonald at the Embassy Theatre. Thankfully, we did only stay one night. After checking in we were given the key for (Executive) room 1. When we opened the fire door leading to it we were hit by an overwhelming and horrible smell that was like Dettol, Furniture Polish, Floor Cleaner and Vomit. We entered our room extremely quickly and noticed the smell, to a lesser degree, was also inside. We closed the door, opened the windows, made ourselves a drink and hoped the smell would go away. It didn't. My wife and I are both Asthmatic and had to use our inhalers. My wife's voice also became croaky. I went back to reception and took a young lady member of staff up to our room to show her what we meant. She agreed it smelled. We returned to reception and the woman there even implied IT WAS OUR FAULT for not telling the hotel in advance we were Asthmatic and if we had told them they wouldn't have used cleaner ! Mmmmm. We have stayed in numerous hotels , at home and abroad, over many years and have never told one, "Hey, we have Asthma so don't clean the area". Room 1 was, apart from the smell, excellent and we would have loved to stay in it but it was impossible. I had to use my inhaler SIX TIMES that evening, including in the theatre, and the maximum dose is actually four. We were then allocated the far inferior room 18, with it's gaudy pink and black decor, six foot high pink chair with bed and bedside cabinets that were painted in horrible Humbrol Silver Model Paint ! What appeared to be a chimney breast was covered in shiny silver coloured something or other .The bed was hard. At least the room didn't smell, although the bathroom did, but we had to open all the windows as it was so hot, even with the fan on. We had a poor nights sleep and had to use inhalers the following morning also. The all day breakfast was the only saving grace for this establishment but it took a very long time to materialise, even though there were only three other couples in there. Thankfully we did only book one night here and it is definitely not a hotel we would ever recommend and we certainly would never stay here again. Interestingly, as we were leaving, two members of the cleaning staff were looking at the carpet outside ROOM 1 and commented that it had cleaned up alright. I also noticed a stained area. There was, actually, a function room there and we wondered if someone had thrown up after leaving ? less
bestwesternv, Front Office Manager at Best Western Vine Hotel, responded to this review
Thank you for your review, your comments are useful to us. We are sorry you were disappointed with your stay but unfortunately it is necessary to use cleaning materials within the hotel. Please be assured that our guests' wellbeing is important to us and we appreciate notification of any special requirements.
If you require any further help or information please do not hesitate to contact our General Manager direct on 01754 610611.