Recently was there on business. Stayed a week. Fire alarm went off around midnight for about two minutes. No "fire". The next night it went off again around 4:00 in the morning. No "fire". Went to the front desk that morning to see why this kept happening. Was told that someone had been smoking "cigarettes" (guess what kind) in their room and had been "evicted". The staff apologized for the inconvenience. The next evening after returning from dinner, as we approached the elevator, we smelled that special cigarette smoke hanging heavy in the air. Thankfully, though, the fire alarm did not go off for the rest of the trip.
We've been using this hotel for the last three years for business projects in Newport News. The staff has always been pleasant and the breakfast decent. Rates are reasonable. Cleanliness, however, seems to be on a steady decline. Litter left by patrons was slow to be picked up outside and the hallways seemed to be lacking vacuuming this time around. The rooms have usually been pretty clean for us although on a previous trip and on this most recent trip we had issues with the AC. On a previous trip my AC wouldn't blow cold air. The front desk clerk was cordial about the problem but it took me some convincing to get him to understand that the wall thermostat was not functioning. Ultimately he put me in another room (this was a year or so ago from the time of this writing). On this trip, one of my coworker's AC wasn't working so he had to be moved as well. Some of the rooms use the wall thermostat, some use the thermostat on the AC (despite there being a thermostat on the wall), so, if you have problems, be sure you're using the right one before putting yourself through the effort of going to the front desk. In my experience, they will tell you to use the wall thermostat, but trust me, that's not how all of the rooms work....especially if the wall display is just blank;)
Anyways, if the cleanliness and maintenance was up a bit (and the fire alarms weren't going off in the middle of the night), we would keep using this Best Western. Unfortunately, this stay was our last. less