5-star hotel in a 1-star location
I don't really know where to begin this review, except to stay that about 99% of what others have written before me is very accurate -- and I wish I'd read their reviews more thoroughly to understand ... more
I don't really know where to begin this review, except to stay that about 99% of what others have written before me is very accurate -- and I wish I'd read their reviews more thoroughly to understand what I was getting into.
I love Best Westerns and am very loyal to them -- I stay at BWs whenever I can. I have never had a bad experience at a BW and this hotel itself is definitely one of the better BWs at which I've stayed -- I'd even go so far as to give it 4.5 stars. It is, however, in a horrible, unpleasant neighborhood -- which drags down its rating detrimentally.
- free parking (though I was worried about my car all night and excited to still see it there / in one piece in the morning)
- super clean and spacious rooms (great layout!)
- lots of natural as well as man-made light throughout the suites
- free bottled water in the room
- super friendly and very helpful staff
- breakfast was incredible; it had everything you could possibly ask for and caters to all tastes; wide variety of food, very clean and welcoming; very friendly staff also
- not many food options in the area
- a very seedy / dodgy area; I didn't feel 100% comfortable as a solo female traveller even walking around in the daylight; I was harassed at one point by a drug addict on the street who was clearly off his head; I rushed straight back to the hotel room and didn't leave for the rest of the day (there may be other areas nearby that are more decent, but I didn’t venture out)
- there was a smell of marijuana in the evening permeating into my room and loud sirens through most of the night — thankfully, I’m a good sleeper so that didn't bother me as much as the annoying neighbors in the room next to me, opening and closing their doors loudly at all hours of the night
- the beds in the rooms are extraordinarily high -- even at almost 6-feet tall I had to stand on my tippy-toes to get into it
- always great to have a gym, but this one was incredibly small for such a large hotel, there were no clean towels, and the treadmill emergency stop button was glued on (danger!)
OVERALL: Basically, this is an excellent hotel in a really bad area. The hotel itself was great but I did not feel at all comfortable outside it. I chose this particular BW because of its proximity and convenience to a meeting I had the following morning (that worked out well), but I won't stay at this location again -- I'll opt for the other BW at which I usually stay, even though it's further out from Boston proper. It's a shame, as this really is a great hotel with great people. less
GM_Front_Desk, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this review
Thank you for making us part of your recent stay in Boston. We are glad to learn that our friendly guest service and the wide selection of our breakfast became the highlights of your time with us. However, it's unfortunate that we weren't able to live up to your standards, and for that, we apologize. We will look into the housekeeping concerns you mentioned as we work to further improve our guests'experience. Please understand that the city has an issue with homeless people, and the hotel is doing everything to work with the city officials to try and resolve this problem. It will be a pleasure to change your perception in the future.