My rating would have been no more than one star had it not been for the efforts of the young staff. The key problem was the almost total absence of even the most basic concerns, including the safety of guests.
I stayed for 4nights - 26-30 June - in room 306 and I was extremely disappointed in the care and attention that had clearly not been given to my room. Even the basic elements were missing so that, as the room was in an outhouse building, no consideration had been given to installing telephones or even leaving the phone number of Reception in the room. This meant that I had to go across to the main building to register anything with Reception. The bathroom was the other main cause of concern. There was no toilet brush, no toilet roll holder and the worst area was the shower stall. There was mould all around the base of the stall, grouting was missing but the unforgivable omission was the provision of neither a slip proof shower floor nor a grab handle.
These omissions led to a quite serious accident that I suffered on leaving the shower on my last morning. I found myself falling and, to protect my left hip replaced only two months previously, I managed to twist myself round to fall on my right side. My hip was OK but I cracked my skull open when I hit the tiled wall. This, serious as it was, could have been a lot worse, for example leaving me unconscious, but happily that did not occur as I had a 250 mile drive ahead of me. I reported this accident, as I had reported the fall I, and one other member of the party, had suffered on exiting the coach in the rain.
This brings me to the more positive aspect of the stay, the helpfulness and willingness of the staff. They had already shone by doing their “proper” jobs well but the reaction of the young staff, when they saw the result of my fall, was total sympathy. Had it not been for them, this review would have been the one star. I sincerely hope that the owner and management of this supposedly 4 star hotel will take notice and, above all, take action to ensure the safety of future guests less