My family and I made a reservation for this hotel because we were attending a basketball tournament and this hotel was one of the few that still had availability and was centrally located. We checked in on Friday night 3/26. We had a reservation for a king suite room with a separate living room that had a pull out sofa.
The hotel was in a great location for the tournament which was held at various schools in the area. We were looking for that so we wouldn't have to wake up too early or have a long drive.
The suite was huge! Living room was the first room you walk into and the bedroom all the way in the back. The place was also nice and quiet.
Customer service was good. The staff listened to our questions/complaints and tried to resolve the issues.
Also, it looks like the hotel may be getting renovated, however I just read a review for this hotel on Tripadvisor dated 2017 and it indicated they were being renovated at that time. I don't know how long the renovation is taking but clearly they need to complete it.
We didn't realize that this suite was a drive up room. My kids said it reminded them of the movie "Diary of a Wimpy Kid". Our suite was in a one story building that you literally park your car in front of your room door. That may be ok for some, personally I just wish I knew that ahead of time. The other side of the hotel had two stories so there were rooms on either floor but those were for standard rooms not suites.
The suite we stayed in looked like it was in conflict. Old outdated side tables, chair, lamps, microwave, beat up walls, broken outlets, blown light bulbs but new flooring, new shower, and newish pullout sofa. The king bed was squeaky and every time we moved it made loud noises.
We were pointedly told at check in no smoking but our room reeked of cigarette smoke and there were ashes and paint stains in our kitchenette sink. We immediately went back to the main building to try to switch rooms and was told there were no other available rooms. They apologized and said that they had someone working on the room and clearly the person was not "trust worthy". That explained the cigarette ashes and smell but not the dust, spider webs, not working lights, dilapidated furniture, etc.
Towels were dingy and the tub had a slow drain.
Breakfast consisted of muffins and Belvita biscuits.
We went to iron our clothes in the morning but the ironing board had no cover on it. It was just a metal ironing board frame. We ironed our clothes on the bed instead.
I don't know who in the right mind in management thought that this room was suitable for guests, let alone charge $162 per night for the pleasure of staying there.
We stayed the night because we had no other choice, however we cancelled our reservation for the remainder of our stay and ended up staying elsewhere.
Never again Best Western Shelbyville! less