The Windmil hotel is used by many family members for its facilities, having a gym & swimming pool. i have been on a few occations and the facilities are more than adequate, very clean and useful for a local hotel.
I called today to make a booking for a one night stay for a VALENTINES-SPA-BREAK in an upgraded room, with a spa package at a reasonable price, happy days!
I immediately called my girlfiend to let her know, but she regrettably informed me that she'd heard of bad reviews regarding the spa....and with this being a."valentines spa break" it made the entire booking a pointless exercise, obviously i needed to cancel this booking.....
So....30 mins later, i called the Hotel, explained the full situation, the receptionist was polite and understanding, she did explain that the company has a policy that states bookings are a 'non cancellable, non transferrable transaction' so put me in contact with the manager named....Darren.
Darren stood on by reiterating the policy, repetitively stating that "as per the terms and conditions, this is a non-cancellable, non transferrable transaction, so i will not refund the balance!" After a frustrating 10min stand off, Darren did not waver, this was upsetting, the conversation ended at this point.
I checked my bank balance after the call, the payment still hadn't been taken, so i immediately informed Darren, he went on to say that although the transaction hasn't been taken yet, it will still go through and he will not cancel the transaction, and if i decide to cancel the transaction with my bank, that the hotel will take action against me.
Every company has the power to waver or provide 'good-will' gesture when necessary as unforeseen circumstances do happen. The most upsetting part of this terrible experience was Darren's arrogant attitude throughout, his insulting emphasis when making a point was insulting, his lack of empathy was frustrating and upsetting.
i understand that companies have policies to abide by, as they need to ensure that they operate with maximum profitability....but lets review the facts....
1. I called to make a booking at 16:05, payed £225 over the phone....
2. 30 minuets later at 16:35 i called to inform that i no longer require the room....
3. In the previous 30 minuets, the Hotel did not lose out in any way, no customers required that room so will NOT have lost any revenue in this time period.
4. The Windmill Hotel STILL hadn't taken payment from my card, so could have easily cancelled the transaction.
5. £225 is PURE PROFIT as the room is now available again.
6. Legal action was retained if i cancelled the transaction with my bank, even though i haven't received any product or service. less