Not Up To Best Western Standards
11/08/2018 Janine L, North Reading, Massachusetts
I was in the area for a college visit and booked the Best Western due to name recognition. I have noted some decline in Best Western properties over the past year or so, but this visit will ensure I ... more
I was in the area for a college visit and booked the Best Western due to name recognition. I have noted some decline in Best Western properties over the past year or so, but this visit will ensure I will not stay again in a Best Western property that I have not recently visited. Initial reaction was the building itself was a non descript square and look very out dated. When we checked into the room I did note it to be on the smallish side. We were on the first floor with a single window and a truck had backed into the spot in front of the window so closely that I could have touched the back of it had the window opened enough. The pool area was dark and smelled horrible. (kind of like vomit) The water looked green though hard to say if it was just the lighting, but clearly did not want to take a chance. Walking through the halls I could smell cigarettes in many places. Back in the room I took off my shoes to find the carpet damp all over (It did not smell bad though and may have been recently shampooed and not yet dry) a very unpleasant feeling. (glad I brought my flip flops) The beds were OK; two full beds which with comfortable mattresses and clean looking sheets. Plenty of pillows. Television was HD and good selection of channels. I turned in at about 1030. I was awakened at about 1230 AM to the sound of loud retching outside my door. (I looked out the peephole to see about 3 adults around a woman who was retching uncontrollably. They went into the room across from mine with the woman going into the bathroom and the continued sound of loud retching. Someone asked for some "spray" and a woman came with a bottle and the man said "spray some on me" which she did and then proceeded to spray repeatedly into the bathroom until someone said "not too much it's strong, let her breathe" They finally shut the door and I went back to my bed and tossed and turned quite a bit finally drifting off. Around 2 AM I heard voices in the hallway and once again looked out the peephole to see a boy around 9 and an older woman standing outside the same room. The boy knocked I didn't hear a response, but did hear the boy say "It's your grandson, let me in" and the boy and older woman went into the room. I again tried to get to sleep but was awakened several times by dog barking (when did it become so popular to travel with dogs?) By morning I just wanted out. They did give us a voucher for breakfast which I had no intention of using due to concerns about the hygienic practices, but seeing as it was in the hotel restaurant which appeared clean we took the chance and were happily surprised the breakfast (I had eggs, bacon, homefries, toast, tea and juice and my daughter had pancakes, bacon and juice) looked and tasted delish. So there is my mixed review. Maybe I just had a bad stay, but pretty sure I would not return. less
kspaulding, Manager at Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this review
We're sorry you didn't have a great time with us! We try to make sure all of our guests leave happy, but clearly we missed the mark during your stay. That is a terrible story about the sick guest - while we do not have control over the health status of our guests, we do apologize for the disturbance. I'm not sure I understand about the spray bottle. Was the person with the spray a hotel employee? If yes, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with more information.
Regarding our pool - it is a therapeutic salt water pool, which is why it does not look like a "regular" pool. It's wonderful - if you decided to come back, be sure to give it a try! Service and satisfaction are of the utmost importance to us, so we are sorry to hear we missed the mark during your stay. I hope you'll be sure to come back and give us another try during your next trip to Waterville.