We had reserved a suite and arrived on September 12 for a 3 night stay. Our first indication that this hotel has quality issues were all the rag-tag men sitting around the front of the hotel drinking and puffing away on cigarettes. It made my wife extremely uncomfortable as they ogled her when we walked past.
The gentleman at the front desk was great and extremely helpful. We were checked in and proceeded to our room. When we walked in we discovered furniture that was broken and neither of the television sets worked. There were also stains on the bathroom wall that looked suspiciously like blood.
I walked down to the front desk, told the clerk, and he immediately gave us another suite. We proceeded to walk down to the new suite. We went into the room and discovered that the AC unit did not work in the bedroom. It was well over 85 sweltering degrees in there. Not acceptable.
Again I walked back to the front desk, told the clerk, and we decided that we would go back to the first suite and he'd switch out the broken furniture and try to get the televisions working. He was able to get one television working by switching out the remote, and promised that the other TV would be replaced the next day and housekeeping would be notified of the cleanliness issues.
The next morning we checked with the lady at the front desk who assured us that the issues would be taken care of that day while we were out. When we returned that evening, absolutely none of the problems had been taken care of. Still no working television, and cleanliness issues in the bathroom were still there. When I asked the front desk clerk (a different lady), she advised us that it should have been taken care of (it wasn't). When I asked about the cleanliness issues in the bathroom she said that it was normal for there to be issues in the bathroom, and as a female she understood why there were blood stains on the wall. What? Seriously?
I also noticed that the breakfast area is getting extremely shabby-veneer is peeling from the counters, cupboard doors and drawers are broken and hanging askew. I also noticed that the fire extinguisher in the third floor hallway is out of date for its annual inspection. There is peeling wallpaper in the hallway and the shards of glass on the floor between rooms 310 and 312 that were there our entire stay, even though housekeeping had their cart sitting right next to it. The peeling wallpaper would have taken half an hour to fix (seam adhesive and a roller) and the glass simply should have been seen and picked up by housekeeping. The out-of-date fire extinguisher inspection tell me that management really doesn't care about guest safety.
We decided to leave a day early because of the issues with this hotel. While we've always had great service from Best Western hotels, this one falls far short of a quality guest experience. less