The Most Horrific Experience for my son and I
If I could rate no stars I would. We will NEVER stay at a best western again!!! The name of this establishment should be worst western not best! My son, his grandma and I experienced so much disrespec... more
If I could rate no stars I would. We will NEVER stay at a best western again!!! The name of this establishment should be worst western not best! My son, his grandma and I experienced so much disrespect and rudeness and so many issues while staying at this place all within less than 24 hours!
1. We experienced Disrespect upon arrival the check in receptionists (Erika & Sarah) continued repeatedly telling my son, his grandma , and I No Smoking on this premises and we explained over and over we are non smokers and that my sons grandma wasn’t staying as she was a resident in Long Beach, and that she was here only helping carry our dinner up since we had our luggage. The receptionist ( Erika) kept repeating what she said to us in a demeaning tone. While another receptionist (Sarah) repeated what she said as well just in a more rude tone.
2. Upon going into the elevator to go to our room there was a Strong smell of marijuana in elevator and once we reached the 2nd floor it got very bad. We lodged a complaint about that and all’s we were told is this is a non smoking establishment they will note the complaint and look into it. The smell was still there the next morning.
3. Upon check in to the room I realized there were multiple damage spots to the interior of the room. Burn holes in curtains both sheer and black out ones and damage to room walls, stains on the portraits on the wall. And an electric device hanging out of the wall with wires exposed. So we took pictures that had time stamps on them so we wouldn’t be charged for them.
4. After settling in and getting ready for bed their was Loud noises banging on the wall and yelling after midnight to around 1:30am that kept my son and I awake. I tried to make multiple calls down to the front desk with no answer no voicemail. So I tried my cellphone and called the motel and still no answer however it did go to a voicemail that said the mailbox was full and we couldn’t leave a message! It made us feel so unsafe! This gentleman was clearly upset as the walls are paper thin so we could hear him. It just being my son and myself we didn’t feel safe trying to venture to the front desk to try and get help.
5. The breakfast we were given was a Small sack with a pastry and a water with an orange that wasn’t even ripe enough to eat. We had to go out for breakfast since the breakfast that was advertised on the website was not available. Not we’re other amenities like the gym and pool. Those being closed we’re not advertised in booking.
6. When we came back from breakfast we had a knock at the door in which I got up from the chair a few feet from the door and before I could take the few steps to the door the Head of Housekeeping walked in room not only a few seconds after knocking not giving me time to answer! Not acceptable at all. What if my son was dressing! Not only that when I called the front desk to confirm they have a head of household that does these checks and let them know what happened I was treated like I did something wrong. The Receptionist (Sarah) asked if we had our Do Not Disturb sign up so we weren’t bothered. I told her that wasn’t the point. Not having the sign up does not give them rights to enter the room. I had no problem with the housekeeper confirming we had enough towels I had an issue with her walking in the room without permission. The receptionist(Sarah) said they would note the account of the complaint.
7. Shortly after that our remote batteries were dead so we called down and asked for some new batteries. The maintenance guy showed up pounding on the door upon me answering he asked “Does your door bell not work?” Which I didn’t even know we had one so I said I don’t know. He pushed it and sighed loudly and said he’d make a report. Then fixed the remote. Which when we entered the room it was wrapped up and it said it was a brand new remote.
8. As we were leaving for the day to help our family with upcoming events my sons grandma came in to help us pack down some things and visit before we left. She was told she was not aloud upstairs without giving the receptionist (Sarah) her ID. So she called and explained and said she didn’t feel comfortable leaving her ID with her since this receptionist had already been so rude every time we had an encounter with her. My son and I came down and I asked why she was being asked for her ID. She had came up when we checked in with no issues. The Receptionist (Sarah) said it was Hotel policy. And that whoever let her up the day before was in the wrong. I asked ok I would like to see this policy. She stated she didn’t have a written or typed policy paper stating such rules. I told her don’t you think of a company or establishment like this wants to enforce “policies” on the customers who stay it should be written in writing in case of legal action? She repeated herself again twice saying it’s hotel policy and if I had an issue I could speak with the manager when he arrived at 5 pm.
I realized I had forgotten my wallet and had my son sit with his grandma and ran back upstairs and back down upon coming down the receptionist Sarah said I just talked with my manager and he feels with all the issues that have come up that perhaps it’s better for us to find a different place to stay. And that we needed to gather our things and she would check us out. I told her what!? No! We are going out and I’ll discuss this wiTh your manager later. She replied with well then we can go up and have your things packed and out the room for you when you get back.
With never having dealt with such disrespect and rudeness from a motel and their workers I said ARE YOU SERIOUS!? I would like to speak with him about all the issues including your behavior and demeanor towards us. I told her we were leaving for the day and I would like to speak with him now on the phone or as soon as we return. She returned a sharp rude attitude question of Oh you want me to give you his personal information so you can call him? No I can’t do that. I said no you said you just talked with him so I would like you to call him back so I could speak with him or let him know I’ll speak with him when I return since he’s working tonight. She then replied oh I’m not letting you have my cell phone to talk with him. I told her I didn’t ask for that I assumed with you being the front receptionist you had called him off the front desk business phone. She called him on her cell phone explained what I asked and said with an attitude I wanted to talk with him. She then put her cell phone on speaker phone and stood there looking at us rudely while I tried to explain to the manager (Shawn) the issues. In which she kept cutting in on the conversation I was having with him to I put her too cents. Including LYING and saying that I called her Stupid. And continued to interrupt me saying yes you did when I was telling the manager Shawn that’s not true I said she’s just a receptionist I want to talk with the manager. The manager Shawn said he thinks it best for all parties that he will only charge one night and we can leave and find a better place suited for us to stay! At this point I was so upset with everything I said we already planned on it! Make sure the money is refunded and we will gather our things now. This is a terrible and horrific experience I can’t believe anyone would ever stay here!
9. I then said can I have the name of the owner of the establishment so I can lodge a complaint and Sarah said they are independently owned and I could only speak with Shawn and he would contact the owner and speak to him for me. WHAT!!!!
We went up and gathered our things and as we were on our way out I said we left the card keys in the room and explained to my sons grandma I can’t believe she lied like that and how horrified we were. Sarah yelled as we were walking out the door YA Noooo! I looked back and shook my said and said wow.
please if you have children or want someone to treat you respectfully and like a human! DO NOT STAY HERE less
Shawn Jones, General Manager at Best Western Plus Hotel at the Convention Center, responded to this review
I apologize that your stay did not go as many of our previous guests have enjoyed even during this pandemic. We take our guest's feedback seriously and want to ensure we are doing our best to keep our guests safe and feeling comfortable.
During check-in, we explain our hotel's policy and COVID policies and it sounds out of character for our desk agents mention to be condescending by any means. We sometimes may have to speak louder as we are wearing masks and have a plastic barrier so this can make it difficult for guests to hear or understand us.
With the many challenges that Covid-19 has brought, to protect you and other guests, we have to take measures on ensuring that only hotel guests are inside to limit the potential spread of the virus. Online we do have it listed anywhere you can book our hotel that our amenities may be affected by Covid-19. The State of California as of July closed down many family recreational centers, gyms, pools, salons, and etc. Further, since we want to ensure the safety and health of our guests and to comply with the Department of Health's rules we also have been doing a "grab n go" style breakfast.
I followed up to your complaint with the housekeeper. I assure you, we do respect the privacy of our guests. Since there wasn't a Privacy Sign on the door our housekeepers will knock, announce their presence, and if no response, will enter the guest room. Since the room was occupied our housekeeper respectfully departed the room. We have our remotes wrapped in what is called a fresh remote wrap which implies that it has been cleaned. We are glad that our maintenance was able to replace the remote with a working one quicky.
In regards again to your family member visiting you were made aware of our No-Visitor policy at check-in. This is told to all guests staying along with other rules we expect all guests to follow for their safety and the safety of others.
While we try our best to address and handle noise complaints this situation you describe where you were unable to reach our front desk I understand can be frustrating. We do wish that you did come down to explain the situation as we are more than willing to take care of our guest's needs.
Please know that we also do not tolerate demeaning remarks towards our staff. Because of that, we found it to be in the best interest of both parties that you would find other accommodations.