I stayed at the Best Western in Lamesa, Texas on Saturday, February 25th and I was more than displeased with my stay. Upon arrival, my fiancée and I waited at the front desk for about five minutes waiting for someone to help us. When the employee finally arrived from the back, he assisted us with our reservation with a less than friendly demeanor.
We left for a few hours in the evening and returned to the hotel around 7:30 PM. My family and I had plans to relax at the pool and hot tub, but were unable to do so due to a few families and their children swimming till 9:15 PM. These people were not guests at the hotel and I had to let them out of the pool area since they did not have a key. I watched them walk to the parking lot towards their cars to leave. When we entered the pool area, there was a dirty diaper floating in the pool. We decided not to use the pool and we stayed in the hot tub. After an hour or so, I went to use the restroom in the pool area. I walked in and noticed the toilet was clogged and I was unable to flush it properly. At this point, we decided to go back to our rooms. We looked around for towels, but all of the towels had been used and thrown on the floor by the people who were there before us.
The next morning, we went downstairs for breakfast at 9:10 AM. We made our plates and sat down at a table to eat. Breakfast ended at 9:30 AM; however, the breakfast staff began to put away the food at 9:25 AM. There were three tables with guests eating breakfast including us and at 9:35 AM, the staff turned off the lights, and we all finished our breakfast in the dark. This is completely unacceptable. I am a former restaurant manager and understand the business quite well. I understand the staff needed to put the food away, but it was completely ridiculous for us to finish our conversation and breakfast in the dark while they made themselves (and their children) a plate to eat in the back. In addition, there was one particular staff member who was eating cereal while we watched her wipe down the counters (the same staff member that turned off the lights). This is very unsanitary. At 9:40 AM, they had all chairs turned upside down on the tables and the staff mopped around our feet. When we got up to throw away our trash, we almost slipped and fell since it was dark and there was not a yellow “wet floor” sign out on the floor. If someone had fallen and been hurt, this situation could have turned into a potential lawsuit.
When I went upstairs to take a shower, I noticed a rather large crack with mold growing inside of the crack at the top of the shower rod (see pictures below). When I got out of the shower, housekeeping knocked on our door. My fiancée let them know we were still in the room and we had a late checkout for 1:00 PM. After my fiancée left the room to take luggage to the car, housekeeping knocked on the door again and began to unlock and open the door despite the “Do Not Disturb” sign hanging on the outside of our door AND knowing we had a 1:00 PM checkout time. I frantically caught the door (while I was in a towel) and informed the lady again of our checkout time and told her not to knock on the door again.
I went downstairs to check out and spoke with a lady at the front desk (she was not wearing a name tag). I informed her of my frustrations during our stay and showed her the pictures of the dirty diaper in the pool, us sitting in the dark at breakfast, and informed her of the incidents with housekeeping. She confirmed that housekeeping DID know we had a late checkout for 1:00 PM. Although she seemed displeased, she told me she was not sure what she could do for me since my credit card had already been charged. I expressed my concerns once again and she reluctantly refunded my card for $50.00 for the $109.00 reservation.
I am appalled at the lack of attention to detail the Best Western staff failed to accomplish during our stay in Lamesa, Texas. Our family made the trip to Lamesa to visit an ailing family member who was recently put on Hospice and does not have much longer to live. Our trip was unexpected and was accompanied with large amounts of stress. Our experience at Best Western not only made it worse, but extremely cumbersome. For future trips, I will not be staying at this facility nor will I be recommending any family or friends to stay at this location. less