This is my 3rd visit to the hotel, and I’m sure there will be more. I don’t stay here for sightseeing, I come for somewhere to recharge the batteries and think about nothing more challenging than what to have for dinner!
The hotel won’t be for everyone:
1. The hotel is located in Platja de Castelldefels. The resort, and indeed the hotel, are suited to people who don’t seek a ‘rocking’ place. Other than the beach itself, there are a few restaurants dotted around, and that’s pretty much it. Suits me down to the ground, but won’t suit everyone.
2. The hotel is about 15 mins drive from the airport. You’ll feel you’re pretty much in the flight path of the airport when sunbathing by the pool. If aircraft noise would upset you, this isn’t the place for you.
3. The hotel serves as a business location that also caters for tourists. There are 18 sun loungers (yes I counted!) and no daytime activities there is smallish pool though.
4. The train line heading towards Barcelona runs pretty close to the hotel, so you’ll notice that from time to time.
5. It isn’t especially cheap to eat in the hotel. Breakfast is usually included in your stay, but everything else you’ll pay for. The hotel offers a set menu for 3 courses costing 20-23 euros (drinks not included) as well as a standard menu. The food is OK but not superb.
Now, having written all the above, you may think why would anyone stay here. For me, I love the solitude of the hotel and resort. I like the staff - there’s an elderly chap who seems to work from dawn till dusk, but unfailingly cheerful and welcoming.
The rooms are comfortable and cleaned to a decent enough standard each day.
I think the hotel would also be ideal if you wanted to visit Barcelona, but stay outside the city centre. It’s about half an hour by train from the local station, which is but a 5 min stroll from the hotel. If you plan to do this, look to buy a particular train ticket. It costs 10.20 euros and can be used for 10 journeys within zone 1, which both the resort and Barcelona sit within. The only proviso is the journey must start and end in zone 1, and take no more than 75 mins. Do also note, you can travel on more than 1 train at a time within the 75 mins. You also don’t need a separate ticket per person. Go through the barrier then pass the ticket to your companion (s) to do the same. As such, this is a great value option for independent travellers to get to and from the airport. Please do be aware that this ticket CAN’T be used on the metro system. less