Over-rated and disappointing - don't stay here
23/09/2016 Carl T, Marina, California
Probably the worst motel experience I have ever had. The travel ratings were high, but once you get past the nice lobby and restaurant, things fall apart quickly. This 1940s-era property consists of... more
Probably the worst motel experience I have ever had. The travel ratings were high, but once you get past the nice lobby and restaurant, things fall apart quickly. This 1940s-era property consists of many single-story buildings space around several acres. The outside grounds away from the office are either dirty or in dilapidated shape, or both. They have started to re-surface the extensive blacktop areas, which is sorely needed. The rooms have been updated, but with the inferior-construction exterior, this was of little help. Specifically:
* The door did not latch from the exterior, and I realized this too late to change rooms. I had been out twice not realizing how vulnerable my room was.
* The floors and walls were so flimsy that you could hear (and feel!) every movement from customers in adjacent rooms. The floors were uneven in places and squeaked.
* Not a clean place. Musty odor in the room that got into my clothing.
* Coffee packet did not fit the coffee-making appliance in the room (how hard can it be to order the right coffee?).
* No bathroom fan.
* Room was nearly 1/4 mile from lobby/restaurant, with no direct route. This place was a maze!
* Only one wastebasket. Needed 2 or 3.
* On the positive side, there was a good refrigerator/freezer.
Regarding the "Made-to-Order" complimentary breakfast, this really was a limited menu option with one of five choices. You'd do better in a regular complimentary hotel breakfast as far as quantity is concerned.
DON'T STAY HERE! less
Sandra L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Dunmar Inn, responded to this review
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here at our property. Unlike most Hotels that simply offer the lobby style complimentary breakfast, our Hotel gives our guests an opportunity to be able to sit down in a nice restaurant with waitress/waiter service and order from a menu that provides each guest with a fresh, cooked to order, breakfast. And fresh hot coffee or tea or glass of juice. In addition, our guests also receive fresh fruit and assorted granola bars that are in the lobby at check out. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy these. I apologize about the problems you experienced with your door, and although you mentioned it was too late to change rooms, I wish that you would have called us. As it is never too late for our staff to make sure that all of our customers are happy while they are here. We would have gladly either fixed the problem or made sure that you received a room that was more than satisfactory for you. Thank you for taking the time to write this survey and I assure you, the problems that you have pointed out will be looked at immediately.