We chose this hotel for it's location and value. You can't beat the price. $89.00 is great for any New York hotel. Everything about this hotel was acceptable and I would stay here again, but there are a few tips for management that might make it a better place.
Here are the good points:
1. Nice amenities in the room such as a sizeable frig, microwave, coffee maker, dvd player, very large TV.
2. Beds adequately comfortable.
3. Bathroom equipment working well.
4. Free breakfast was also a plus but could use just a few improvements (see below).
5. Wonderful staff - friendly, helpful
6. Nice downtown location.
Here are the things that could be improved or that you should watch out for.
1. The sound proofing is not great. It is possible to hear most of what is going on in the hallway. We did not stay on a noisy night, but it could be problematic on other nights. I'm not sure the hotel can fix this easily, but try for a room that is away from the elevator.
2. There are many public spaces that do not have any natural light. Given the lack of natural light, the hotel could do a lot to improve the lighting and overall ambiance. The breakfast area was dismally dark. Surprisingly, the stairwells were nicer than other hotels because there were windows here. The overall design of the hotel dictates many poorly lit spaces. This makes them rather uninviting.
3. The pool area also suffers from lack of decor, lighting, etc. It's a rather barren place with no potted plants (real or fake). We did not swim because it was so unappealing. I suspect it is was totally fine, but we did not want to spend time in that pool area. It is also lacking a hot tub/spa.
4. Breakfast - great waffles, eggs, bacon, etc., but barely any fruit/juice and no yogurt. Just adding these 3 items would be a huge bonus.
5. The hotel is quite clean, but needs some of that deep cleaning that comes from cleaning/replacing the hallway carpets (super ugly).
6. There is evidence of water damage in some areas. Room 334 has water stains on the ceiling. This is easily remedied with some special primer and paint. The floor in the breakfast area had a noticeable hump that was also caused by some sort of water problem.
7. The parking is confusing since there are lots on both sides. Perhaps some signage could help or we just missed it.
8. For smokers, there is no ash can/disposal outside the door to the parking lot. This meant that there were a lot of cigarette buts lying around. Just adding some ash cans or moving them away from the door would help. less