Review of The Best Western Inn (Rm. 213)
Length/Type: 2-night stay, tour package accommodations
Hotel Rating: 3-star
Tour Company: Sinorama Tours
Travel Dates: August 24-26, 2016 (Wed.-Fri.)
Overall Experience: Fair
- Free Wi-Fi, newspapers available in lobby
- Comfortable bed
- In-room coffee maker
- Hotel located across the street from a shopping mall
- In-room A/C was noisy & weak (had to change rooms)
- Included breakfast was poor, buffet & sitting area much too small
- Second floor smelt bad
- Far from NYC (1h drive from Manhattan)
This was an included 2-night hotel stay, part of a New York City sightseeing tour. I will admit, this is more of a motel rather than a hotel. The lobby was small and the breakfast area was even smaller. Speaking of which, the included breakfast wasn’t very good. You had a small selection of toast and bagels, juice, coffee and cereals. There were also a few hard-boiled eggs and firm flapjacks, which weren’t too appetizing. As for the breakfast sitting area, there were 4-5 tables, each siting 4 people. It was very small and compact. Once it got busy, there was nowhere to sit. The self-serve buffet reminded me of a typical airplane galley. The whole area became very crowded once everyone on our tour showed up for breakfast (serving yourself was impossible). As for the room, it was average size (as well as the bathroom), but clearly outdated and run down. On the upside, there was Wi-Fi available and there were shops and restaurants located in the vicinity.
The furniture in the room was worn out and broken in certain cases. The knobs on the drawer units were loose, with run down corners. The wall- mounted lamp by the desk didn’t work and the A/C unit wasn’t very powerful (we had to switch rooms when we first arrived, since the first room we got had virtually no A/C). The second floor hallway (where our room was located) had a strong cigarette smoke odor. Yet the beds in the room were comfortable and the room itself was relatively clean.
Advice to those staying:
- This is a budget hotel. If you’re visiting New York City and just need an inexpensive place to stay for a few nights, this hotel is ok. Bare in mind, it is a 1-hour drive from Manhattan (and that’s with good traffic along the New Jersey Turnpike).
- Don’t bother going to the breakfast buffet. Spend the extra $10-15 and go to IHOP or Denny’s instead, right in front of the hotel. You’ll get a much better meal served to you in a quieter setting. less