Hotels near the Wallington House
Guarded by four fearsome stone griffin heads, Wallington House - ten miles west of Morpeth - is one of the finest historic houses in Northumberland, as well as the venue for much-loved summer concerts.
Preceded by a medieval castle and Tudor house, the building was bought by Sir William Blackett from Sir John Fenwick in 1688. Blackett had the four griffin heads shipped up from London, while his third son, also William, started to build the house as seen today.
It was Sir Walter Calverley who created the Palladian exterior and added the rococo plasterwork to the saloon and dining room. The clock tower was added in 1754 and the bridge over the river in 1755.
Sir Walter died in 1777 and the estate was inherited by his sister's son, Sir John Trevelyan. Sir John's grandson, confusingly another Sir Walter, filled the house with Pre-Raphaelite frescoes and paintings, including a scene painted by John Ruskin in the newly-roofed courtyard, which was Ruskin's suggestion.
The house was given to the National Trust by Sir Charles Philips Trevelyan on his death in 1942 and is now open to the public between Easter and August.
As well as 100 acres of grounds, the house has a number of collections, particularly of fine ceramics, paintings, needlework and dolls' houses, including one with 36 rooms, electric lights and running water dating from the 1880s. The Central Hall, decorated in the style of an Italian courtyard, has a series of scenes of Northumbrian history by William Bell Scott. Also of interest is Macaulay's desk, at which he wrote his History of England.
Please note: although the grounds are open all year round, the house is only open from Easter to August.
Wallington House Information
£8; child £4; family £20
Gardens & grounds only £5.50; child £2.75; family £14
Gardens: Apr-Sep: 10am-7pm; Oct: 10am-6pm; Nov-Mar: 10am-4pm
House: Apr-Aug: 1pm-5.30pm; Sep & Oct: 1am-4.30pm
Address: Wallington, Cambo, Morpeth, NE61 4AR
Content provided by Frommers Unlimited, copyright © 2012: Whatsonwhen Ltd, John Wiley & Sons, Inc