After years of planning it’s finally here, The Grand Départ arrives in Yorkshire this weekend. With the first stage working its way from Leeds to Harrogate before a tricky second stage which takes the riders from York to Sheffield. It then leaves our sunny shores and heads back to France but not before it finishes up on The Mall in London on Monday.
As I have walked the streets of my home town York in recent weeks I’ve noticed yellow cake displays, spotless streets and what seems to be miles of bunting – I can tell you York is excited and ready!
So to get the rest of us up to speed here are a few facts and figures, so we can attempt to hold a cycling conversation this weekend (scary thought, I know).
- The race leader will wear the famous YELLOW jersey.
- The top sprinter will wear the GREEN jersey.
- The top climber will wear my personal favourite jersey which is RED & WHITE spotted.
- A worldwide TV audience of 3.5 billion will be watching, with the last hour of every stage being broadcast across the entire of Western Europe.
- The Tour de France attracts 12 million spectators annually.
- Yorkshire’s Brian Robinson was the first Britain to win a stage in 1958.
- Sir Bradley Wiggins became the first Britain to win the Tour de France in 2012.
- The two favourite for this year’s race are Britain’s Chris Froome and the Spaniard Alberto Contador.
If you get inspired by watching any of this weekend’s activities BEST WESTERN have put together a number of cycling packages so you can ‘Get On Yer Bike’ and experience The Grand Départ route for yourself, just click here to see our full cycling packages.
And here’s to a Chris Froome making it three years in a row for British riders.
A DIFFERENT STORY EVERYDAY COMPETITION
Share what your ‘dream expedition’ in Great Britain would be, for a chance to win your submitted dream expedition!
All you need to do is either post your submission on our Facebook page or email firstname.lastname@example.org before 12 noon Thursday 31st July with your dream expedition in Great Britain. The winner will be picked at random and announced at 12 noon on Friday 1st August.